Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Chiesa and former Convent of Santa Maria Nuova and Crucifix Oratory

Via Pinturicchio and via del Roscetto

Churches and Monasteries

Originally a Benedictine settlement, as seen in documents of 1285, the complex was abandoned in 1372 because of the construction of the papal fortress of Porta known as the Monmaggiore Fortress. On the left side still visible a portal and two ogive arches. In 1404 it was acquired by the Padri Silvestrini Order, who restored the church as ordered by Braccio Fortebraccio.

The church, rebuilt almost wholly in  1568, was after that named New, for the arrival of the Padri Serviti Order, coming from the church of S. Maria dei Servi, in the Landone Hill, demolished because of the construction of the Rocca Paolina. The bell tower was built in 1644 based on the project by Galeazzo Alessi.

Inside some precious works: in the chapels siding the apse XV Century frescos, in the one on the right side the urn with the remains of Braccio Baglioni, nephew of Braccio Fortebraccio. On the walls the rich stucco and mannerist frescos of the XVI Century, XVI – XVII Centuries paintings of local artists, the XV Century  choir, the banner by Benedetto Bonfigli (1471), the altar of the XVII Century of the Compagnia degli “Ultramontani”, a magnificent organ on the counter façade of 1584. Inside the church there were formerly paintings by Pietro Vannucci, also known as the Perugino, today in the London National Gallery and in the Galleria Nazionale of Umbria, some by Nicolò Liberatore also known as l’Alunno and by Fiorenzo di Lorenzo, today in the Galleria  Nazionale of Umbria, and by Gian Nicola di Paolo, today in the Louvre. 

In the right nave the entry to the Oratorio del Crocefisso (1591), a rectangular room with a vault painted by da Pietro Carattoli and decorated by false architecture; at the centre a Glory of the cross by M. Garbi (1750). The altar, based on a  project by Valentino Martelli (1593) shows a  Deposizione by Felice Pellegrini (1593).

Close to the church there’s the former Convent of S. Maria Nuova, rebuilt after 1540, following the destruction of the convent of S. Maria dei Servi (on Landone Hill), of which the colums of the cloister were here reused. The complex, owned by the church, has been recently renovated and is now used as private residence and as meeting place for several events (Entrance at n 87 via Pinturicchio).

Opening Hours: visits allowed on Sundays before and after the liturgical celebration of 5:30 pm

Info: Parish of S. Andrea and S. Lucia tel. + 39 075 5720631 

Perugia Capitale