Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Porta Santa Margherita – Gate of S. Margherita

Via Bonaccia

One of the gates of the City

The Gate of S. Margherita belongs to the medieval city walls and is named after the ancient Benedictine cloister placed outside the city walls. Transformed into a psychiatric hospital in 1818, today the area is seat of school, university and health services.

On the right side of the inner façade, is a bastion made of brick, probably remains of a XVI Century fortification. In the bastion, a recess with an image of the Virgin Mary. In 1821 this gater was closed and a new one with the same name was built infront of the former psychiatric hospital. In 1934 the medieval gate was reopened while the one of the XIX Century was demolished.

Perugia Capitale