Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Necropoli dello Sperandio (Necropolis of Sperandio)

via Sperandio

North of the city

Located outside the city walls in the northern area, it was used from the VI Century to the II Century b.c.

It witnesses different types of funerary rites, mostly consisting of chamber graves, as well as box and pit graves. The inhumation rite prevails, but the incinerating one is also attested, which has yielded numerous urns in travertine. It is possible to visit one of the underground chamber tombs, from the late IV-III Century b.C., with a sandstone slab sealed the entrance, found during excavations in the early 1900s.

In the medieval age, in the area of the necropolis, there was a Benedictine monastery, removed under the Napoleonic Reign in 1799, then turned into a private residence. Below the entrance door, you can still read the Latin inscription "Spera in Deo 1696" (Trust in God 1696), from which today's toponymal.

From the necropolis numerous are the funerary stones and ceramic materials, in bronze and iron, preserved in the Archaeological Museums of Perugia MANU, the Archeological Museum of Florence and the British Museum in London. At the MANU a remarkable stone sarcophagus can be seen, dating back to the VI Century b.C., decorated with bas-relief scenes. Now preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Florence a sandstone sarcophagus containing rich funerary goods of a female, including a precious diadem and earrings.

Opening hours: visit upon reservation  

Info and reservation:  IAT tel. +39 075 5772686

Perugia Capitale