Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Gallenga-Stuart Palace – Seat of the University for Foreigners of Perugia

Piazza Fortebraccio, 4

An institution for the world

Gallenga-Stuart Palace was built between 1748 and 1758 as aristocratic dwelling and is one of the most important monument of the Umbrian architecture of 1700. In 1927 it became seat of the University for Foreigners of Perugia.

The building was realised in late-Baroque style by the Peruginian architect Pietro Carattoli, following the project of Francesco Bianchi.

The façade is vertically articulated with pillars and horizontally with brick cornices. The portal has two ionic columns sustaining the balustrade of the main floor, whereas the upper floor is enclosed by the balcony.

In the XIX Century it was decorated with paintings by Domenico Bruschi and Matteo Tassi. In the ‘20s the Count Gallenga left the Palace to Perugia Municipality

In the course of the time the building hosted copious artistic and cultural activities; in the first half of 1700 Goldoni acted in many plays occurred in the oval hall of the Palace, hereafter called Sala Goldoni.

In 1935, thanks to Frederic Thorne Rider, it was possible to buy the adjacent houses and expand the building. It was erected the Auditorium, following the project of Dino Lilli, where are exposed the futurist fresco of Gerardo Dottori and the work of Giuliano Giuman called “Nel Mondo”.

Accessible only on booking.

Info: tel. +39 075 5746 211-270

Perugia Capitale