Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Fratticiola Selvatica e Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie

Fratticiola Selvatica is the farthest fraction of the Municipality territory, placed on a hill opening to a wide panorama. To the original name  “Fratta” or “Fratticiola” (little fragmented territory)  the adjective “wild” was added as it was surrounded by woods and therefore reached with difficulties.

The finding of a bronze clasp, probably of Etruscan origin (VII-VI Century B.C.) and today visible at the MANU - Museo Archeologico Nazionale dell'Umbria, can date the first settlements of the area back to the  VI Century B.C.

In 1216 the fortified castle of Fratticiola Selvatica was conquered and occupied by the troops from Gubbio, and afterwards reconquered by Perugia Municipality that improved both the measure of defense as well as of offence.

In 1390, within the struggle between the Vatican State and Perugia the castle was conquered and demolished by the commoners. In 1406, the walls were repaired by Perugia Municipality.

The parish church of the hamlet is San Pietro, really ancient and restored several times; the emblem of the Knights can be seen because it was given to their order with Pontifical Bull by Gregorio XIII in 1580.

Interesting the little Church Madonna delle Grazie, formerly a tabernacle sacred to the Holy Mary before the XIV Century, just outside the walls of the Castle. In the XIV Century it depended from the Badia di San Salvatore di Monte Acuto and, in 1578, passed under the power of the Templar knights of San Giustino

From 1332 to 1965, it suffered several reconstructions and modifications: the Façade presents two asymmetric sloping roofs. The Inside, with massive barrel vaults, is divided into two naves orthogonally placed conferring to it a strange L shape. The entrance, covered with a wooden structure, was originally a porch.

The Frescos in the apse and vaults dates back to the XIV and XV Centuries. Those on the left nave have been attributed to Fiorenzo di Lorenzo.  In the parish church of San Pietro a painting from the Madonna delle Grazie attributed to Fiorenzo di Lorenzo as well, having been here moved after the discovery under its former place of an antecedent fresco.

Perugia Capitale