Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Civitella d'Arna

Hamlets and Castles

Civitella d'Arna, as the near hamlet of Castel d’Arno, originated from the “Umbri” population, then the Etruscans, from the V – IV Centuries, were makers of its development. In the VI Century, during the Roman Epoch, it was seat of the Bishop,  and in that epoch started its decline, due to the battles between Byzantines and Lombards. Only in the XIII Century there was a renaissance of the hamlet, when the construction of the castle of Civitella d’Arna, began almost two centuries before, was ended.

A fortress on the ancient roman tanks’ walls, of which is possible to see the remains. Repeatedly modified to host the local Lord, as the Sozi, Degli Azzi Vitelleschi and Spinola families, the castle preserves the entrance bastion and a XIV century arch. In the external walls, are still visible Roman-Etruscan remains. Copious evidences and artefacts of the past epochs, rediscovered in that area, are safeguarded in the National Archeological Museum of Umbria.

The XIX century parish church in the inner of the castle, has a banner of 1492 by Bartolomeo Caporali, a painting of the peruginian Domenico Bruschi, a XIX century crucifix, a Deruta ceramic tile of the end of 1500 and a fresco by Giannicola di Paolo, pupil of Perugino. Moreover, three bronze bells, of the weight of 536, 264 and 127 kg, realised in 1850, key players of the historical re-enactment that every year occurs in Civitella d’Arna.

Perugia Capitale