Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Porta Sant'Antonio – Gate of S. Antonio

Corso Bersaglieri

One of the gates of the City

As S. Antonio neighbourhood it is named after the Church of S. Antonio Abbate. It was opened in 1374 in the Papal Fortress of Porta Sole (commissioned by the Monmaggiore Abbot and under the project of 1373 by Matteo di Gattapone; it was destroyed by Perugia citizens in 1424).

The gate substituted the former one of 1273 in the medieval walls. The imposing external walls in bricks are from the 1519 restoration. From this door, as testified by the headstone above the arch, in 1859 entered the rifle Sardinian Army, from which the current name of the street (formerly S. Antonio).

Perugia Capitale