Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Acquedotto medievale - Medieval Aqueduct

Via dell’acquedotto

Where water went upwards ...

The construction of the aqueduct started in 1254 and finished in 1280 under the guide of Fra Bevignate and Boninsegna da Venezia. It is about 4 km long and was built to bring water from the Monte Pacciano to the Fontana Maggiore. An extraordinary hydraulic work has been accomplished using a pressure forced duct to give water an upwards direction. In 1322 the realization of a more direct duct was ended even if with more difference in height and pressure. This is witnessed in the plaque placed on the higher bucket of the fountain.

In 1835 the aqueduct was casted off because of continuous problems of functioning and maintenance. A new one was built with water coming from Bagnara di Nocera Umbra directed to the tank of Monteripido.. Today some ruins are still visible at monte Pacciano together with the re-built arches in medieval style. Nearby the museum of water and conservoni, today closed.

During the first half of XIX century, its last stretch arriving in the city before the subterranean bit, no longer functioning, was turned in a characteristic pensile path. It was done to connect Porta S. Angelo District to the city centre in an easier way. It is composed by a bridge supported by ten spans with round arches and an added parapet. Some houses have been built attached to it with accesses in height, making the pedestrian path one of the most typical streets of the city.

The last underground stretch placed in via Appia starts where the uncover one ends. It used to arrive to the fountain. It’s a tunnel used as water passage from the XIII to the XIX centuries. It can be traced back to the Etruscan age and gets to the Etruscan smaller gate called “Postierla della Conca” that, at present, ends in the archaeological area of the Cathedral. Only on special occasions it is possible to see it with a guided visit of this underground layout.

Perugia Capitale