Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Rocca Paolina

Several entrances: Piazza Italia, Via Masi, Viale Indipendenza, Porta Marzia

Majestic fort commissioned by Pope Paul III Farnese at the end of the ‘salt war' (1540)

The mighty fortress, based on the design by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane (1540-1543), encompassed the houses, towers and streets of an entire district, recognisable within the complex, and the consequential razing to the ground of the houses of the Baglioni family, of the borough of Santa Giuliana, of the church of Santa Maria dei Servi and of many other medieval buildings.

The architect Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane recomposed on the pediment of the fortress the upper part of  an Etruscan archdoor: Porta Marzia (III Century B.C.)

The Rocca Paolina was five levels high, composed of a main construction and a smaller one, connected by a corridor. The first was built on Colle Landone and the second, the Rocca Minore, also called “Tenaglia” (tongs), was used as front garrison. The fortress, symbol of pontifical domain on the city, was partly destroyed in 1848, rebuilt in 1860 by Pope Pius IX and then razed to the ground in the same year  in the part occupying the present Piazza Italia.

All that remains are the basements, partly still awaiting excavation, of extraordinary charm and uniqueness, crossed through by the escalators and used for exhibitions.

Below the video "Rocca Paolina - La forma della memoria, la città ritrovata" (Rocca Paolina - The shape of memories, the refund City) relised by Paolo Camerieri and Francesco Miniati, in collaboration with Fabio Palombaro. Transaltion by William Erik Faber, co-director of the British Academy of Perugia. Speaker Enrico Sciamanna. Audio recording by Giancarlo Palombini.

Opening Hours: Porta Marzia (via Bagliona) 7:00 am - 8:00 pm

Escalators: 6:15 am - 2.00 am

Entrance from Piazza Italia (escalators), Via Masi, V.le Indipendenza and Porta Marzia

Wheelchair partly accessible (the accessible entrance is in Viale Indipendenza. Notify the staff to use the elevator that allows access to the Fortress, by calling the telephone number at the entrance).

Free entrance

bk-news
Perugia Capitale