Skin ADV
Perugia Turismo

Cassero di Porta Sant'Angelo - Keep of S. Angelo Gate

Corso Garibaldi

One of the Gates of the City

The biggest medieval Gate, fortified by Ambrogio Maitani in 1326, belongs to the XIV Century City walls.

Outside it presents three levels, of three different construction phases, each marked by the use of different materials. The first is of sandstone, like the walls of the same age. The second level was made with limestone, probably dating back to the  ‘70s of the XIV Century; this part was expressly wanted by the “legato pontificio” (Papal Legate) Gérard du Puy, known as Abbate di Monmaggiore, who, considering the strategic importance of the place linked it to the fortress of Porta Sole and to the Porta di S. Antonio. The third level, made of bricks (1416-24), was projected by the  Architect Fioravante Fioravanti, following the orders of the Lord of Perugia Braccio Fortebracci. The definitive transformation in keep, with trapdoors, slits and embrasures dates to 1479 .

Restored several times during the following Centuries, since the ‘90s of the XX Century hosted the Museum of the City Walls and Doors. Currently it hosts "Musìca – Spread educational trail of ancient music instruments" (

From the roof terrace of the tower you have a a splendid view of the city.

As the District in which it is placed, the Door takes its name from the paleo Christian Church entitled to St Michele Arcangelo. Its coat of arm consists of the wings of the Archangel with a sword at its centre. The protector Saint is St Michele Arcangelo, whose recurrence is on the 29 of September. The colour is red as the flaming sword and the fire of wood coming from the woodland north of Perugia.

From here one of the five Royal Street, northbound from the main square of the city. It was also known as as Door of the Armenians because of the ancient Basilian monastery just outside the walls and Door of San Matteo and/or San Cristoforo from the name of an old door a bit before along the old via della Lungara – today Corso Garibaldi.

Temporarly Closed

Opening Hours:
Thursdays to Sundays h. 9:00 am – 12:30 pm 
Saurdays and Sundays also h. 9:30 am - 12:30 pm; h. 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm

During the Summer Months all days h. 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Free entrance
Guided Tour:
see info and reservation
For Internship and Concerts: see

Wheelchair not accessible

Info and reservation: tel+39 329 6396295 - 328 9638830 

During the COVID 19 emergency period the opening hours will be as follows:

Thursdays and Fridays: h. 9:00 am - 12.30 am; Saturdays and Sundays: h. 9:30 am – 12:30 pm / 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
It will be possible to organize and reserve a visit writing to or calling the tel. +39 329 6396295/ +39 328 9638890

Perugia Capitale